Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is absolutely DIVINE! We didn't leave one crumb on the platter. I had forgotten about this recipe until my son asked me to make it again. Using a filo dough for the crust makes it much simpler than a traditional homemade strudel crust! From Steven Raichlen's "Big Flavor Cookbook".
- 5 large bananas, ripe
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon banana liqueur or 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (plus extra to sprinkle on top) or 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs (plus extra to sprinkle on top)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- Thinly slice bananas and put in heavy nonreactive saucepan.
- Add raisins, lemon juice and zest, cinnamon, vanilla, rum, brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Cook over medium heat until bananas are just tender, 2-4 minutes.
- Correct sweetness if necessary.
- In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into banana liqueur (or rum).
- Pour into the banana mixture and simmer 30 seconds or until mixture thickens.
- Let cool to room temperature and remove cinnamon stick and vanilla bean.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- STRUDEL DOUGH:.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter and oil.
- In a separate small bowl combine cracker crumbs and sugar.
- Following the directions on the filo dough box, prepare surface and dough (using damp cloth, etc.), alternately brush dough with butter mixture and one level tablespoon of the crumb mixture. Repeat until you have used four sheets of the filo dough.
- Mound half of the banana filling in a row along the long edge of dough closest to you. Roll up halfway.
- Fold in the short ends and continue to roll the strudel.
- Carefully transfer it, seam side down to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Prepare the second strudel in the same manner.
- Brush the tops with the rest of the butter mix and sprinkle with the rest of the crumb mix.
- Using a sharp knife, lightly score the tops of the strudels (do not cut through to the filling!).
- Bake until crispy and golden brown, 30-40 minutes.
- Cool slightly and cut into diagonal slices with serrated knife.