Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Kumala (or Kumara), is such a versatile ingredient that can be prepared so many different ways. I played around with this rendition from Wattie's and have found something that works just great!
- 4 medium kumara (orange or golden)
- 1 dash oil
- 1⁄2 cup well drained crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger (optional)
- 2 -3 trimmed and chopped spring onions
- 340 g corned beef (try a lower fat, lower sodium version(you won't taste the difference!)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup grated cheese
- Wash the kumala and dry well. Trim the ends. Rub the kumala with oil and place on a baking tray. Cook at 200oC for 45-50 minutes or until well cooked. Alternatively prick the kumara with a fork and microwave on high power for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Slice a top off each kumala and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
- Add the pineapple, ginger, spring onions and Corned Beef and mix gently with a fork to break up the corned beef and mix the ingredients lightly. Do not mash.
- Re-fill each kumala with 1/4 of the mixture and return or place on the baking tray. Sprinkle each with a little grated cheese.
- Cook at 200oC for 15 minutes until piping hot and golden.