This is an exotic take on the traditional baked chicken. The fruit juices and delicious spices really make this version outstanding.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell peppers or 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into bits
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- Position rack in the center of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together Dijon mustard, basil and honey.
- Smear the chicken with this mixture.
- Arrange chicken, skin side down, in a shallow roasting pan or baking dish just large enough to hold it in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the pieces with finely chopped onions, bell peppers, butter, salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste and 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon and paprika.
- Pour orange and pineapple juice around the chicken.
- Bake, basting once, for 30 minutes.
- Turn the chicken skin side up, season with salt and pepper, 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon and paprika, and all of brown sugar.
- Bake until the chicken is tender and golden, about 20 minutes longer.
- Add more orange juice or pineapple juice if the pan seems dry.
- Pour the juice into a small saucepan and boil over high heat until it becomes syrupy.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
This was amazing! I wasn't sure about how all the flavours would work together, but the combination intrigued me. I did everything exactly as lined out in the recipe, but instead of bringing the sauce to a boil at the end, I increased the oven temperature to about 425*F and baked it for about 10 minutes longer, until the sauce was thick and the chicken was nicely browned. We were rewarded with one of the most delicious chicken dishes I have eaten in a long time. Thankyou so much for this wonderful recipe. It is a keeper for sure.
This is fabulous! I used red pepper, dh doesn't like green. Very appealing citrus flavour. I wasn't sure I'd like the cinnamon in this, but it blended perfectly with the other ingredients. I didn't have any honey, so I used corn syrup. I will definitely make this again. So very tasty!
We prepared this dish with chicken breasts and I added some fresh pineapple pieces.
It was delicious, tender, moist and juicy. We enjoyed it with white rice, we didn't need more.
Thanks Evelyn for fhis recipe.
Done for ZWT7