Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Had a mango, coconut and lots of avocado on hand. Thought to make a salsa to go with some grilled Mexican meat. Leftovers are tasty in a tortilla with some cheese and grain (such as quinoa or rice). The small chunks of fresh coconut are a crunchy surprise.
- Combine mango, avocado and coconut in a mixing bowl. Toss.
- Drizzle lime juice and agave nectar (or honey) over the mixture, and toss to coat.
- Add cilantro, scallions, and pepper to taste and toss.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes for flavors to marry.
- Tip: Fresh coconut preparation. Poke the three identations at the end of the coconut with a screwdriver or nail and drain out the coconut water. Reserve or discard, as desired. Place coconut in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove and allow to cool to room temp (shell may already have begun to crack). When cooled, place on a cement surface and hit with a hammer until the shell splits open. Pry the coconut meat from the shell with a screwdriver or other tool. Peel the brown skin from the meat with a sharp paring knife. For this recipe, dice into fine dice (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch cubes) a half cup of coconut. Grate the remainder in food processor and save for other recipes. Can be refrigerated for a week or frozen for 6 months.