Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Doughnuts with a German background ...
Make and share this Tropfkrapfen (Drop Doughnuts) recipe from Food.com.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Stir in egg yolks and whole egg; blend.
- In a separate bowl, sift all dry ingredients except the confectioners' sugar; add to creamed mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
- Stir to mix all ingredients.
- Cook by dropping spoonsfuls of dough into 375 degree F deep fat.
- Fry a few at a time, to keep fat temperature constant.
- Turn to brown on all sides.
- Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
OH MY GOSH! Yuck. Just tried these and I gotta be blunt, they just do not have any taste. Very poor. Gord27
Loved them! These are just like the beignets we had on a romantic trip to New Orleans years ago. Quick, easy and delicious. I felt the batter needed a touch of salt so for the half recipe I added 1/16 teaspoon. Edited to say that OF THE 350 RECIPES I REVIEWED IN 2008, THIS HAS GONE INTO MY TOP 20 FAVORITES COOKBOOK.
I've been making doughnuts ever since forever, and these are so easy to whip up and they fry up wonderfully, really puffing up and become light and airy. I may never go back to yeast-based doughnuts again! I used a trifle more than 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg and the doughnuts were wonderfully flavorful!