Recipe by MinnMomof2
This is a traditional Norweigian rice pudding with meringue that I make for my church every year for Syttende Mai, I got the recipe from my church. I live in a VERY Scandanavian town! Enjoy!
- 236.59 ml long grain rice, cook and drain well (see additional directions beginning at step 15)
- 946.0 ml milk, -reserved
- 5 egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 78.07 ml raisins
- 5 egg whites
- 1.23 ml cream of tartar
- 147.89 ml sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium-size heavy saucepan, combine cooked rice, 3 cups milk, sugar, cornstarch (mix with sugar before adding), and salt.
- cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until thick and creamy. About 30 minutes.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, whisk together the egg yolks, remaining 1 cup milk, and vanilla.
- Add some hot rice mixture to the egg-milk mixture to prevent egg lumps/cooking by stirring as you add. Once hot, stir into rice.
- Add raisins if desired.
- Cook mixture for another 3 minutes or until creamy and thick.
- Pour rice mixture into prepared 2 quart baking dish or a 9x13 inch cake pan.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meringue: In bowl of electric mixer, whisk egg whites until foamy.
- Increase speed to high and add cream of tarter.
- Gradually add the sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Beat until stiff but not dry, about 3-4 minutes. Peaks should remain when beaters or spatula is held upright.
- Using CLEAN rubber spatula, spoon meringue on the top of baked rice pudding, covering entirely.
- Return to oven and bake until meringue is golden brown-approx 8-10 minutes.
- How to cook Rice.
- Rinse the rice in a strainer or colaner to get rid of any starch and impurities until water becomes clear.
- In saucepan, Combine long grain rice and water. For every cup of rice, use 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Bring rice to a boil, uncovered at medium heat.
- When rice is boiling, turn heat down to medium low. Place lid on pot, telted to allow steam to escape.
- After the rice has been cooking for a few minutes, check for holes or craters.
- When you see these, put the lid on tight and turn heat down to low.
- Simmer covered rice on low for another 15 minutes.
- Fluff and serve or use in recipe.