Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This was my mom's recipe (Trixie was my dad's nickname for her; sure to get a reaction!). It's quick, easy, inexpensive, and true comfort food. Be sure to serve with homemade mashed potatoes to get the full effect.
- 1 (15 ounce) can salmon, drained, bones & skin removed
- 4 ounces saltine crackers (one tube)
- 2 -3 eggs, depending on size
- 1 small onions, finely diced or 1 small onion, pureed
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- fresh black pepper, to taste (don't add salt unless your crackers are unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons butter (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen peas, thawed, drained, but not cooked
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl combine all salmon patty ingredients.
- Using your hands, mix well and shape into 8 patties.
- In a large fry pan, melt butter and oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add patties and saute 2 minutes per side, or until crisp and well browned.
- Hold in a warm oven while preparing creamed peas.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.
- Gradually add milk or half& half while whisking to prevent lumps.
- Cook until the sauce bubbles and thickens.
- Add the thawed, drained peas and stir until peas are hot.
- Serve two patties per serving, topped with the creamed peas.
I make this recipe regularly for my family as did my mom. It's delicious and the creamed peas are a must!! I did make one change in that I don't like as many crackers in the mix...makes it a bit harder to form the pattie. I used 2 15 oz cans of salmon and one tube of crackers. Otherwise, all is the same. My 10 yo daughter was in heaven. :-) Pam
Made these for supper tonite & they were pretty good. However, IDK how you get 8 patties out of this...I got 6. I also think it could use a little more seasoning, but then that's probably just me. <br/>I love peas...especially creamed peas....think next time I'll add a little chopped onion. <br/>THANKS for sharing!!!
Fantastic recipe! I did leave out the poultry seasoning and used about 1 Tbs of chopped green bell pepper. I also rolled my patties in flour before frying. Turned out great! The peas was wonderful too. Thanks for sharing your recipe!