Recipe by Claudia Dawn
I saw Trisha Yearwood make this on Food Network and wanted to post here for safekeeping. Recipe adapted from Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen by Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2008
Top Review by Jlyn
I had a moment of panic when I figured out the Weight Watcher's points and it came out 26 points! Then I realized they had it for 1 servings instead of 8, so it is 3 points per serving. Now need to check out the Chicken Tortilla Casserole!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, boiled, drained and shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (1 1/3 ounce) packet fajita seasoning mix
- 1 (16 ounce) bag tortilla chips
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and the onion and saute until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more.
- Add the broth and the half-and-half.
- Stir in the cream of chicken soup, salsa, chicken, beans, corn, cumin and fajita seasoning.
- Continue to simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Crumble the tortilla chips into individual bowls and top with a ladle of soup.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese and add a dollop of sour cream.