Recipe by Pinay0618
From her cookbook, Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood.
Top Review by moonglow4u
I have cooked this twice and both times was for a large group. It was loved by all!!! The only thing I did different was to use 1/2 of the amount of pepperonis the second time around and it was just a good but much less salty. Oh, and I used cottage instead of ricotta simply because we love cottage cheese in our lasagna.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb sage sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb sliced pepperoni
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 16 ounces lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large, heavy skillet, lightly brown ground beef, sausage, onion and garlic in the oil. Be sure to keep the meat chunky, not finely separated, while cooking. Drain the meat. Add pepperoni, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt, pepper and oregano. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Cook and drain lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- In a 13 x 9-inch pan, spread 1 cup of the prepared sauce. Alternate layers of noodles, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, ending with sauce, mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.