This is such a wonderful cake! Moist and a wonderful banana flavor that is perfectly coupled with the cream cheese frosting. Not too sweet, not overpowering and perfects with time. This makes a VERY impressive 3 layer cake! I used 100 proof Banana Liqueur. My three layers were done at about 25 minutes. Plan to make the cake one day in advance and store covered in refrigerator overnight for the best results. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons banana liqueur or 2 teaspoons Amaretto or 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Grease and dust cake pans with flour.
- Combine bananas with lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl or kitchen mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and the liqueur.
- Slowly add flour alternating with the buttermilk. Stir in bananas.
- 3 layers; 2 cups of batter per pan - 2 layers; 3 cups of batter per pan - or you can use bundt pan or 9 x 13 cake pan. Check cake with knife to determine when it is done at about 25 minutes (my three layers were done in 25 minutes but if you are making two layers your time will most likely increase).
- Meanwhile make the frosting: Cream butter and cream cheese and add vanilla. Add confectioners sugar a little at a time and mix at high speed until smooth.
- Cool completely then frost.
- Place chopped pecans around side of cake to hide imperfections in layers or add to top.
- Cover and place in refrigerator. Can be eaten right away. Best served the next day.