1/1 Photo of Triple Walnut Cookies
6 hrs 16 mins
Slightly sweet and tangy cream cheese forms a tender base for these icebox cookies packed with three different hits of walnut: ground and diced forms in the batter itself and a maple-glazed walnut half as a quaint "hat".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 1/3 ounces salted butter, softened (a generous 2/3 cup)
- 5 1/3 ounces shortening (a generous 2/3 cup)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 5 1/2 ounces sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/3 cup ground walnuts
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup currants (optional)
- turbinado sugar, for rolling
- 32 walnut halves
- maple syrup, for brushing
- 1In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy.
- 2Add vanilla, beat in well.
- 3Add flours, nutmeg and ground walnuts, beating inches
- 4Fold in the chopped walnuts and currants (if using). [Photo24688]
- 5Scoop 1/2 the batter (it will be very soft and sticky) onto a sheet of wax paper set on a double layer of foil.
- 6Using damp hands, roll dough into a log about 2" in diameter.
- 7Wrap in the waxed paper / foil layers and freeze until very firm, at the least 3-4 hours and up to 6 months.
- 8When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- 9Unwrap one log and roll it in the coarse sugar to coat the sides completely.
- 10Use a sharp serrated knife to cut the log into 1/4" thick rounds and place them 1" apart on sheets.
- 11Lightly press a walnut half onto the tacky surface of each cookie (dough will have defrosted somewhat) and using a pastry brush lightly glaze the top of each round.
- 12Bake, one sheet at a time, for 16-17 minutes. They will not look overly browned but this is OK.
- 13Cool completely on the sheets.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Triple Walnut Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.2
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 14.0 mg
- Sodium 45.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 2.8 g