Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my Mother in law's recipe for mock oh Henry Bars. It was a recipe that she submitted for our church's fundraising cookbook.
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 30 vanilla caramels, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate and shortening.
- Stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour 1/2 into a foil lined 8 inch square pan.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Combine caramels, water and butter.
- Place mixture on low heat until smooth.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour into chocolate lined pan.
- Spread evenly and top with remaining melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Cut into bite sized pieces.
This tastes similar to a snickers bar (only better). We used dove chocolates(1/2 dark, 1/2 milk) and the candy was so insanely good that I immediately gave most of it away so I would not eat the whole pan. Highly recommended for a copy cat candy bar.
An old friend of mine used to make these candies. They a are so yummy and rich. They actually remind me more of SnickersÂ® than any other candy bar. They are best stored in the fridge as well if it's warm in the home.