Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
These mocha cupcakes have a lot of coffee flavor, you might want to cut back a bit if you don't want such a strong flavor.
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 ounces butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 small amount water
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In microwave safe bowl, heat coconut milk until hot. Stir in espresso powder.
- Whisk sugar, oil, and vanilla into coffee mixture.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet ingredients and beat until few lumps remain.
- Pour into liners, filling each with a scant 1/4 cup of batter. Bake 18-22 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting:.
- Add sugar and egg whites into bowl of electric mixer. Fit over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly, keeping the mixture over heat, until it feels hot to the touch, about 3 minutes.
- Remove bowl from heat.
- Using the whisk attachment on stand mixer, beat meringue on medium speed until cool, about 5 minutes.
- Switch to paddle attachment and add butter a tablespoon at a time, beating until smooth. Once all the butter is in, beat on medium-high until very smooth and thick, 6-10 minutes. If the buttercream curdles or separates, keep beating and it will come together again.
- Add a small amount of water to the espresso powder. Add espresso powder mix and cocoa powder to frosting. Beat until smooth.