Recipe by Skipper/Sy
Just imagine the wonderful taste of Sea Scallops made three different ways. Then placed on a bed of Creamy Spinach and sprinkled with grated carrots! This dish is pleasing to-the-eye and also not a very hard recipe to make either.
Top Review by susie cooks
I made this for dinner last night and I am glad I waited until today to review it because it is one of those recipes that I liked more and more as the night went on. I had to go reheat the spinach for a little snack! Loved it! The scallops turned out perfect. With the light breadcrumb mixture they had a nice texture. I loved them all. Of course the garlic and lemon scallops were excellent. And bacon and scallops are always great together. This is a very interesting combination that totally works! Great job on this recipe!
- 1 lb large scallop, 12 large pieces (4 servings)
- 10 ounces Baby Spinach, washed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, chopped up
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons red onions, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 lemons, cut up into wedges
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pieces bacon, cut strips in half
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor chop up the baby spinach into small leaves (do not puree) and set aside.
- Combine the nutmeg, Parmesan cheese, jalapeño peppers and set aside.
- Put in a small dish the chopped up onions and set aside.
- On a flat plate put in 2 tablespoons flour and set aside.
- On another flat plate put in the bread crumbs, add and mix in the oregano and basil, set aside.
- In a small cup put in the beaten egg and set aside.
- COOKING THE SCALLOPS:.
- Heat 1 tablespoon margarine/butter & 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan, dredge four scallops in the flour, then dip into the beaten egg, then into the bread crumbs and place in the frying pan, cook on one side until brown, turn and cook the second side (do not overcook); set aside on a big plate.
- Place 1 tablespoon of margarine/butter, 1 tablespoon olive oil and garlic in the same frying pan, add four scallops and fry on one side, turn over, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice, cook on one side until brown, turn and cook the second side (do not overcook); set aside on the big plate.
- Place bacon strips in the same frying pan, cook until almost done (do not over cook), then set aside. In the same frying pan add four scallops and fry on one side until brown, turn and cook the second side (do not overcook), next wrap the four scallops with the bacon strips (using toothpicks); set aside on the big plate.
- COOKING THE CREAMED SPINACH:.
- In a pot add 2 tablespoons margarine/butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil, add 2 tablespoons flour and whisk until smooth, add the heavy cream and half & half cream a small amount at a time (whisking) until you have a smooth consistency.
- Next add the reserved nutmeg, Parmesan cheese, jalapeño peppers, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and stir.
- Next add the spinach, stir and then remove immediately from the heat, add the red onions, salt & pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Finally step is to add some creamed spinach to individual plates, add one each of the three types of scallops on top, sprinkle with some grated carrots, add a little lemon juice on scallops and place lemon wedges on the side, heat the plate in a microwave oven for about 30 seconds just to warm up. Serve and enjoy!
- NOTE: You can also add some cooked Russet or Yukon seasoned potatoes on the plate as well.