Prep 40 mins
Cook 12 mins
I adapted an American's test kitchen recipe to please my peanut butter loving friend, Roo. It is easy to overcook these cookies, so only bake until the edges are brown. They will bake some more on the cookie sheet.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb salted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup extra-crunchy peanut butter, preferably jif,at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dry roasted salted peanut, ground in food processor to resemble bread crumbs,about 14 pulses
- 1 cup reese's peanut butter chips (these taste the most peanuty)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir the flour in it's container first and then spoon lightly into measuring cups and level off.
- This will lighten the flour.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in medium bowl; set aside.
- With electric mixer, beat butter until creamy.
- Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes with electric mixer, stopping to scrape down bowl with a rubber spatula as necessary.
- Beat in peanut butter until fully incorporated.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Gently stir dry ingredients into peanut butter mixture.
- Add ground peanuts and peanut butter chips; stir gently until just incorporated.
- Working with generous 2 tablespoons each time, roll dough into 2-inch balls; I use a#50 ice cream scoop to get perfectly sized balls.
- Place balls on parchment-lined cookie sheets, leaving 2 1/2inches between each ball.
- Bake until cookies are puffed and slightly brown along edges but not on top, 10 to 12 minutes (Cookies will not look fully baked).
- If you are baking 2 sheets of cookies at one time reverse position of cookie sheets halfway through baking time; this will result in more evenly baked cookies.
- Cool cookies on cookie sheet until set, about 4 minutes, then transfer to wire rack with wide spatula to cool completely.