Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another one of Mom's recipes. (I know I know, What can I say, I love her cooking!) She wouldn't give me the recipe for years but then I managed to work it out of her... and then I ran right here to share! Ok, so I've had it a long time, but I still thought I'd share anyway. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 (6 ounce) package orange Jell-O
- 1 pint Orange sherbet, softened
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained (see note below regarding Oranges)
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed (I only use about 3/4 of the container)
- Pour boiling water into a bowl and add jello. Stir until dissolved, then add orange sherbet and stir until it melts completely. (It helps if you put the sherbet in the refrigerator for an hour or two to soften it before adding it to the Jello).
- Refrigerate about 2 hours or until thickened.
- Pour Jello and orange segments into a food processor. Add Cool Whip and whip in processor just until blended. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- ***Note, as first reviewer suggested, you can either add entire can of oranges to salad and blend in processor or add 1/2 then stir in the other 1/2 of whole oranges after blending in processor. It's up to you and whether or not you like whole oranges or if you want the salad to be smoother. (Thanks Pismo!).
- Serve and enjoy!
As the 3 stars say, WE LIKED THIS. It set up nicely and was the perfect complement to a spicy Mexican entree. I used a whole can of mandarin oranges as the last reviewer suggested. I don't have a full-size food processor, so I processed the oranges in my mini-processor and mixed the rest by hand. Thank you for posting MTPockets!
This salad was very good. It reminds me of something that would be at a potluck. This would be very versatile as far as trying different flavors and fruit. The only thing I would change is to double the amount of oranges and keep half of them whole to stir into the mixture by hand after it's processed. Thanks!