Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A different take on the usual meat-filled fajitas.
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked regular brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces portabella mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 3 ounces fresh chanterelle mushrooms or 3 ounces oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green peppers or 1 medium red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 green onions, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 flour tortillas, 8 inch
- Cook rice according to package directions, except omit the salt.
- In a large ziplock bag, combine the water, lime juice, oil, garlic, cumin, oregano, and salt.
- Add mushrooms, pepper strips, and green onions.
- Seal the bag and turn to coat ingredients evenly.
- Marinate at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Stack tortillas and wrap in foil. Heat in a 350º oven for 10 minutes to soften.
- In a large skillet, cook undrained mushroom mixture over medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until peppers are tender and all but about 2 tbsps of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cooked rice and heat through.
- To serve, spoon mushroom-rice mixture onto warmed tortillas and roll up.