Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love anything with lemon..
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of (yellow part of rind only)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, zest of
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 carton low-fat yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Combine the sugar, water, lemon rind and juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Simmer for 4 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, eggs and yogurt and mix well.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, and stir just until moistened.
- Do not overmix.
- (Overmixing will toughen the muffins.) Spray 12 muffin-tin cups with cooking spray.
- Fill cups with batter.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon sugar on each muffin.
- Bake for about 17 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and spoon about 1 teaspoon lemon syrup over muffins while still warm.
- When you've done them all, start over.
- This will give the syrup a chance to be absorbed rather than all running down the sides which it will do.
- Leave the muffins in the pan until cool or until all of the syrup has been absorbed.
These were good, but a little on the dry and dense side. I wonder if it is because the recipe didn't call for the butter and sugar to be creamed. Also, I had to guess at what "1 carton of yogurt" was. I assumed a small 6 oz. size of plain. I am now thinking it might have meant a larger size of sweetened (these weren't quite sweet enough for me, even though I don't like things too sweet). With some tweaking, these could be really great muffins.