Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
Bottom layer is chocolate brownie chock full of nuts, center is vanilla frosting and top is another layer of chocolate. Very tasty and pretty on a plate.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, divided
- 3⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almonds or 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -3 tablespoons whipping cream
- For the first layer, place 1 ounce of the chocolate and 4 tablespoons of the butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Stir until melted.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg and granulated sugar.
- Gradually beat in the chocolate mixture.
- Stir in flour and almonds.
- Spread batter evenly in a lightly oiled 9-inch square baking pan; bake in 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until brownie feels dry on top.
- Let cool completely in pan on a rack.
- For the second layer, place powdered sugar, vanilla and 4 tablespoons of the butter in small bowl and with electric mixer beat together.
- Then beat in enough cream to make the frosting spreadable.
- Spread evenly over cooled brownie.
- For the third layer, combine remaining 1 ounce chocolate and 4 tablespoons butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Stir until melted.
- Drizzle over frosting layer, tilting pan so chocolate covers surface evenly.
- Refrigerate until chocolate has hardened (about 15 minutes).
- Cut into squares.
- Store, covered, in refrigerator.
Great tasting, sweet square. It's so simple with ingredients you're bound to have at home. Definately a keeper!!
I decided to try these for a social function, there were dozens of other squares and treats there, but these squares were gone within minutes! So delicous, kindof like the naniamo bar but so much easier with the brownie crust. Delicious!!
This one is a keeper. The final product looks more difficult to make than it really is. It is easy. I liked it using the pecans. I cut it into smaller pieces since they are quite rich. This one would be great for that plate of nice squares at a holiday gathering.