Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
"This cake is a sure way to satisfy true chocolate lovers and is perfect for any occasion." By Barbara Dean. From Taste of Home. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (8 ounce) packages semisweet baking chocolate
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (optional)
- 2 (1 5/8 ounce) bars milk chocolate candy bars, shaved
- In a microwave or double boiler, melt butter and chocolate. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in vanilla, flour and salt; mix well. Pour into 3 greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, melt chocolate in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Gradually stir in cream and sugar if desired until well blended. Heat to a gentle boil; boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat; transfer to a mixing bowl. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until mixture reaches a pudding-like consistency, stirring a few times. Beat until soft peaks form. Immediately spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle with shaved chocolate.
- Store in refrigerator.
This is the cake I make for people I love. I make it for birthdays and graduation partys. It's easier to cut if it's been refriderated overnight. I cut it ahead of time because it's a mess to cut and it's just easier. It's an amazing cake
This cake is going to end up making me fat. I made it for my husband's birthday and it was a big hit. Warning: it is rich and addictive.
This is absolutely the most scrumptious cake EVER! I love, love, love it and it got raves, raves, and more raves from my guests.