Recipe by Courtly
"This cake is a sure way to satisfy true chocolate lovers and is perfect for any occasion." By Barbara Dean. From Taste of Home. Cooking time is chilling time.
Top Review by Stacia in MI
This is the cake I make for people I love. I make it for birthdays and graduation partys. It's easier to cut if it's been refriderated overnight. I cut it ahead of time because it's a mess to cut and it's just easier. It's an amazing cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (8 ounce) packages semisweet baking chocolate
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (optional)
- 2 (1 5/8 ounce) bars milk chocolate candy bars, shaved
Directions See How It's Made
- In a microwave or double boiler, melt butter and chocolate. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in vanilla, flour and salt; mix well. Pour into 3 greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, melt chocolate in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Gradually stir in cream and sugar if desired until well blended. Heat to a gentle boil; boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat; transfer to a mixing bowl. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until mixture reaches a pudding-like consistency, stirring a few times. Beat until soft peaks form. Immediately spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle with shaved chocolate.
- Store in refrigerator.