Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe from Today's Parent Magazine. It is to attract toddlers but we liked it so much as a family that it is now in our cooking list every week, thanks to its low-fat, super moist, healthy ingredients. Hope you like it!
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil (I prefer canola oil)
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 177.44 ml applesauce (I prefer sweetened)
- 236.59 ml grated carrot
- 236.59 ml grated zucchini
- 236.59 ml all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil and sugar. Beat in egg, then applesauce. Stir in carrots and zucchini.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet, until just mixed. Grease muffin tray. Spoon batter to the very top of muffin cups and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted in a muffin.
My toddler twins, who are very picky eaters, love these. I pureed the vegetables because I didn't want texture to be a reason for them to not try the muffins. I made mini-muffins so they were easy to pack and eat on the go. The recipe made 72 mini-muffins (1 Tbsp of batter) and baked for 8 minutes. I'll definitely make and freeze them again. I made these again but using 2 Tbsp of batter as my kids are bigger now. They baked @ 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Very moist muffins and still a big hit!
Very good, except I wish I would have pureed the carrots and zucchini. I also added just a little bit of flax seed which turned out very yummy!
I love this! I did change the recipe a bit by adding chopped coconut, pecans, & raisins. My daughter who is 16 months loves them.