Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are extremely good! It's a really unique and healthy combination of grains, and the flavor is great...wholesome, hearty, and lightly sweet. The muffins are so simple to make, and they stay soft and tender even after they've cooled. The poppyseeds add an attractive "speckled" appearance and a little crunch, which contrasts nicely with the chewy oats. Do try these muffins; I'm sure you will like them!!
- 1 3⁄4 cups quick oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups oat flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 3⁄4 cup sucanat or 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- Stir together dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Make a well and add wet ingredients; stir gently just until combined.
- Let batter sit 20 minutes (you can skip this step if you're pressed for time, but it makes the muffins rise higher and look more attractive).
- Divide batter between 20 greased muffin cups; bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, until they test done.
- Remove muffins from pan and cool on rack.