Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is Gingerbread with a Kick!! Once upon a time, gingerbread was spicy and bold, but over time it has become sweet ,bland, dull and dry. Now, you can serve this old, familiar dessert with "oomph"...moist, rich, and dense!!! Three sources of ginger (ground and fresh ginger in the cake and ginger ale in the glaze), along with stout beer and robust molasses turn this cake into something special.
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (12 1/2 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (10 1/2 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (or finely minced)
- 3⁄4 cup robust molasses or 3⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 3⁄4 cup stout beer (I prefer Guinness)
- 1 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar (7 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons ginger ale
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- FOR THE CAKE: Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until bubbling. Stir in the ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice,, and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, and fresh ginger in a large bowl until light and frothy. Stir in the melted butter mixture, molasses, and beer until incorporated. Whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture until no lumps remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and gently tap the pan on the countertop to release any trapped air bubbles. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan for 20 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet; let cool completely.
- FOR THE GLAZE: Whisk the ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake. Let the glaze set for 15 minutes. Place cake on a pretty cake plate. Serve!
- (You can store this cake at room temperature, covered in plastic wrap, for up to 2 days.).