Prep 20 mins
Cook 23 mins
The smell and flavor of ginger in a moist bar cookie. From Betty Crocker
- 1 package betty crocker supermoist white cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons decorating sugar crystals
- Spray the bottom only of a 13x9 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the cake mix, melted butter, and eggs until well blended.
- Add in the next 3 ingredients; stir to combine.
- Press dough into the pan with greased fingers.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into bars.
This bar really has far more potential than the rating would suggest. The base is quite good and as cake mixes do, yields a tender cake like bar that was greatly enjoyed. My disappointment with the bar was that despite the three types of ginger, it failed to deliver on flavor. The dried ginger was missing and the fresh did not have the wow factor expected. I doubled the crystalized ginger and found that to actually be a pleasing level, offering the perfect peppery bite in the cookie. I think all of the ginger ingredients doubled would be just right. Thanks Sunflower.