Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A sweet & sour version of coleslaw that has been a big hit with my family & friends. I found this recipe in my local newspaper and adjusted it a bit to meet our needs. Prepared recipe makes about 12 servings. **Update 2/10** Once I read the review I realized I should have stated that due to the fruits within this coleslaw - it truly does not store well after 2 days. Adjust servings as needed to meet your needs.
- 1 (16 ounce) bagof shredded coleslaw mix (with red cabbage & carrots, not just plain cabbage)
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, not syrup (reserve the juice)
- 1 large granny smith apple (or other tart apple)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice in a bowl.
- Cut the apple into small cubes.
- Combine the coleslaw mix, pineapple tidbits, cubed apple, chopped celery and dried cranberries in a large bowl - mixing well.
- In a small bowl or 2 cup measure, blend together the mayonnaise, vinegar and the 3 tablespoons of reserved pineapple juice.
- Pour mayonnaise mixture over the coleslaw mixture and toss gently to mix it well.
- Cover and chill for 2-4 hours.
- Before serving, toss the coleslaw gently.
This was not only delicious but all the color combination's made it looked great as well! This would be a great dish to take to a pot luck. I didn't add the dried cranberries (I didn't have any), but I added a sweet red apple. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. Next time, I will try it with the cranberries. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
I made 2 changes. First I did not add the celery (personal preference) and I thought the dressing was just a tad too sour, so I added 1T of sugar. What a great hit this was with my family Easter dinner. Delicious.
I used a Gala apple, 1/2 cup of dried cranberries. This was great even if we didn't wait the 2-4 hours. I'm sure it's even better now. Thanks Melissa for this creamy coleslaw. Made for Zaar Star game