Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Sunset magazine. Note freezing times.
- 1 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice (from 2 to 3 blood oranges)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed tangerine juice (from 3 to 4 large tangerines)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed white grapefruit juice (from 1 to 2 grapefruit)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Taste the blood orange juice. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoons lemon juice and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Taste again to see if it has the right sweetness and tartness for you, bearing in mind that, when frozen, the juice will taste more subdued; add up to 1 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoons lemon juice if needed.
- Repeat with tangerine and grapefruit juices, using the same range of sugar and lemon juice for each.
- Fill each of 8 popsicle molds 1/3 full with blood orange juice and freeze, making sure they're level and upright, until firm to the touch, about 45 minutes.
- Fill each mold 1/3 more with tangerine juice and freeze just until firm to the touch, another 45 minutes.
- Carefully insert sticks, leaving 1 1/2 to 2 inches of each sticking out. Freeze until sticks feel solidly anchored, about 45 minutes.
- Fill each mold to top with grapefruit juice, cover, and freeze 2 hours or overnight.
- To unmold, run warm water over the individual molds just until popsicles release from sides, 5 to 15 seconds.