Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe was based on the Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives show. However, I'm not entirely happy with it. I think it would be easier to just make cheeseburgers. Season with salt and pepper as you like; however, Velveeta is incredibly salty and I would never salt any of this until after having a chance to taste it after the addition of the cheese. I put the half and half in when specified (with the Velveeta); however, the soup curdled. Not surprising considering most recipes call for things like that to be put in at the end, so I'm changing the recipe accordingly. Perhaps using full-fat half and half would solve the curdling problem also.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb lean ground beef (use very lean beef)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 16 ounces unsalted chicken stock
- 16 ounces Velveeta reduced fat cheese product
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- Melt butter and cook onion until translucent. Remove onion.
- Put ground beef in pan. Season with pepper (and perhaps salt, but keep in mind that Velveeta is really salty). Cook until browned and somewhat crispy. Drain. Remove from pan.
- Mix flour and water to make a slurry. Add chicken stock first and then slurry to the pan. Bring to boil, scraping bits off the bottom. Add Velvetta and cook until cheese is melted. Do not bring to a boil.
- Add in onion and hamburger. Season to taste and lower heat to stove's lowest setting. Cover and cook for about 55 minutes. Add half and half, and heat only until serving temperature. Add tomatoes and lettuce at the end. Stir and serve.