1/1 Photo of Triple Coconut Macaroons & Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroon
From Cook's Illustrated. Be sure to mix the cream of coconut thoroughly before using (shake cans), as the mixture separates upon standing. Unsweetened desiccated coconut is commonly sold in natural food stores or Asian markets. If you are unable to find any, use all sweetened flaked or shredded coconut, but reduce the amount of cream of coconut to ½ cup, omit the corn syrup, and toss 2 tablespoons cake flour with the coconut before adding the liquid ingredients. For larger macaroons, shape haystacks from a generous ¼ cup of batter and increase the baking time to 20 minutes. For the chocolate-dipped: Using the two-stage melting process for the chocolate helps ensure that it will be at the proper consistency for dipping the cookies. // Note: Be sure to use sweetened cream of coconut as this is the primary sweetener for the macaroons.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml cream of coconut (sweetened cream of coconut, not coconut milk)
- 29.58 ml light corn syrup
- 4 large egg whites
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 2.46 ml salt
- 709.77 ml unsweetened shredded desiccated coconut
- 709.77 ml sweetened flaked coconut (about 8 ounces)
- 283.49 g semisweet chocolate, chopped (optional)
- 1Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and lightly spray parchment with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- 2Whisk together cream of coconut, corn syrup, egg whites, vanilla, and salt in small bowl; set aside. Combine unsweetened and sweetened coconuts in large bowl; toss together, breaking up clumps with fingertips. Pour liquid ingredients into coconut and mix with rubber spatula until evenly moistened. Chill dough for 15 minutes.
- 3Drop heaping tablespoons of batter onto parchment-lined cookie sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Form cookies into loose haystacks with fingertips, moistening hands with water as necessary to prevent sticking. Bake until light golden brown, about 15 minutes, turning cookie sheets from front to back and switching from top to bottom racks halfway through baking.
- 4Cool cookies on cookie sheets until slightly set, about 2 minutes; remove to wire rack with metal spatula.
- 6Cool cookies to room temperature on wire rack, about 30 minutes.
- 7Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Melt 8 ounces chocolate in small heatproof bowl set over pan of almost-simmering water, stirring once or twice, until smooth. (To melt chocolate in microwave, heat at 50 percent power for 3 minutes and stir. If chocolate is not yet entirely melted, heat an additional 30 seconds at 50 percent power.) Remove from heat; stir in remaining 2 ounces chocolate until smooth. Holding macaroon by pointed top, dip bottom and ½ inch up sides of each cookie in chocolate, scrape off excess with finger and place on cookie sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate sets, about 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Triple Coconut Macaroons & Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroon
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.7
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 123.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 1.4 g