Recipe by Buster's friend
I love coconut! ... & bread pudding! This adaptation from Taste of Thai combines two of my favorites! I love those guys! note - Cook time includes 30 minutes soaking time
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 lb stale French bread (crust removed, torn into 1/2-inch chunks)
- 28 ounces coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Using butter and confectioner's sugar, grease and sugar a 9" x 13" baking pan, coating all sides well.
- Beat Coconut Milk, sugar, eggs, egg yolks, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and coconut extract until well mixed in a large bowl. An electric mixer or beater is recommended.
- Add 1 cup flaked coconut and raisins. Mix thoroughly.
- Fold in bread chunks with a wooden spoon or spatula until well incorporated. Do not squeeze the bread.
- Pour into the baking dish. Make sure the raisins are evenly distributed and the bread covered with Coconut Milk mixture. Cover with Saran Wrap & let soak for 30 minutes or overnight in the fridge.
- Place baking dish onto a cookie sheet & put on center rack in preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Top with remaining flaked coconut. Bake 25 - 30 minutes longer or until pudding is set and coconut is nicely browned.
- Serve hot with vanilla ice cream or cold with fresh strawberries & mango.