This is really very simple, and will impress anyone you serve it to. It tastes incredible, and it can be made up to a month ahead of time. I once served 1000 servings of this, with both raspberry and chocolate sauce, to a dinner party, and my clients were thrilled. The mousse recipes are from one of my pastry-chef heros, Alice Medrich - she's a genius, and these mousses can be used seperately as cake fillings, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Dark Chocolate Layer
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso, dissolved in water
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 dash cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Milk Chocolate Layer
- 4 1/2 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee, dissolved in water (not freeze-dried)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
White Chocolate Layer
- 1Since the flavor of these layers depends entirely on the chocolate, please use the best brand you can afford- I like Callebaut, but you can also use Lindt, Tobler, Valrhona or Ghiardelli.
- 2Using a standard loaf pan, line it with plastic wrap so that the plastic extends beyond the sides of the pan by at least 3 inches on each side.
- 3For the dark chocolate layer: melt the chocolate, espresso, and rum in the microwave on 50% power for about 2 minutes.
- 4Stir until smooth.
- 5Whisk in the yolk and mix well.
- 6Set aside.
- 7Whip the whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- 8Sprinkle in the sugar, beating on high until stiff, but not dry.
- 9Fold a quarter of the whites into the chocolate to lighten it, then scrape the remaining whites on top of the chocolate and set aside.
- 10Beat the cream until it holds it shape (not stiff) then scrape on top of the whites.
- 11Fold everything together gently until no streaks of white appear.
- 12Turn the mousse into your prepared mold, spreading until it is an even layer.
- 13Place in the freezer.
- 14Make the milk chocolate layer: melt the chocolate and coffee in the microwave on 30% (low) power for about 2 minutes.
- 15Stir until smooth and completely melted.
- 16(Milk chocolate burns very easily. Do not attempt to melt it at a higher temperature.) Set aside to cool slightly.
- 17Whip the cream until soft peaks form- not too stiff.
- 18Fold very carefully into the milk chocolate- it will seem very soft.
- 19Scrape on top of the dark chocolate layer, smoothing to an even layer.
- 20Put in the freezer.
- 21Make the white chocolate layer: place the chocolate and 2 tbl.
- 22water in a heatproof bowl.
- 23Microwave on low (30% power) for about 2 minutes.
- 24Stir until very smooth and completely melted.
- 25Let cool slightly.
- 26Whip the cream until soft peaks form- not too stiff.
- 27Fold very carefully into the chocolate- it, too, will seem very soft.
- 28Scrape on top of the milk chocolate layer, smoothing to an even layer.
- 29Now- gently, gently tap the pan a couple of times on the counter to allow all the layers to settle against one another.
- 30Carefully wrap the excess plastic up over the mousse.
- 31Put the entire thing in the freezer for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- 32It also freezes well for a month prior to serving.
- 33To serve: Take the pan from the freezer, and set in a pan of hot water for 10 seconds.
- 34Carefully unwrap the plastic from the top, then unmold onto a cutting board, pulling on the plastic wrap to help release it.
- 35Peel the plastic from the mousse and discard.
- 36Slice the mousse into 8 slices (this is done more easily with a knife you run under hot water then wipe dry quickly and cut while the knife is still warm) and carefully arrange on individual plates.
- 37Serve immediately.
- 38Serving suggestions: raspberry sauce and a few berries and a sprig of mint, or be really decadent and serve it with a drizzle of hot fudge sauce and a sprig of mint or both.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Triple Chocolate Terrine
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.1
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 101.4 mg
- Sodium 61.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 19.3 g
- Protein 4.5 g