Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is more like an elegant fudge than a mousse, but it's sure to "WOW!" your dinner guests! The Grand Marnier sauce is also good over just about everything. From a January 1984 issue of Bon Appetit in the R.S.V.P. Letters to the Editor section. The recipe was requested from D'Imperio's restaurant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 lb semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature, beaten
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
Grand Marnier Sauce
- 1Bring water and sugar to boil in small heavy saucepan over low heat, swirling pan occasionally;do not stir.
- 2Let boil 1 minute.
- 3Cool sugar syrup completely.
- 4Butter and sugar 2-cup loaf pan.
- 5Sprinkle walnuts in bottom.
- 6Melt chocolate and in top of double boiler set over gently simmering water.
- 7Stir in cocoa powder and 1/4 cup sugar syrup (reserve remainder for another use).
- 8Remove from over water, blend in yolks.
- 9Beat whites in medium bowl until stiff but not dry.
- 10Gently fold into chocolate mixture.
- 11Pour into prepared pan;cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- 12To unmold, run a very sharp knife along edges of mousse and invert onto platter.
- 13To serve, cut into 8 slices.
- 14Ladle some of sauce onto plate and center slice of mousse in sauce.
- 15Grand Marnier Sauce.
- 16Blend yolks and sugar in top of double boiler until creamy.
- 17Set over gently simmering water and whisk in milk in slow steady stream.
- 18Continue whisking until mixture is thick, about 12 minutes.
- 19Remove from over water.
- 20Stir in ice cream and Grand Marnier.
- 21Transfer to small bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Triple Chocolate Mousse in Grand Marnier Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.9
- Calories from Fat 240
- Total Fat 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 133.8 mg
- Sodium 48.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 29.3 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: