Recipe by tep1031
Heavenly combination of chocolate, both crunchy and smooth. Takes a while to make, but well worth it.
Crunchy Cookie Crust
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (unsifted)
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 8 ounces white chocolate chips (or coarsely chopped chunks)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare crunch cookie crurst first: Preheat oven to 350°F Use 13 x 9 x 2-in baking dish. If using glass, lightly spray pan with cooking spray. If using metal, line pan with aluminum foil, extending foil past short sides of pan, lightly spray foil. In large bowl, beat butter, confectioner's sugar, egg yolk and vanilla until fluffy, with electric mixer at medium speed, 1 to 2 minutes. Then with mixer on low speed, beat in cocoa powder, then flour, to form moist crumbs, about 1 minute. Sprinkle over bottom of prepared pan and press into an even layer. Bake 12 minutes or until cookie crust looks dry and set. Remove pan to cooling rack.
- Filling: Place chocolate chips in large bowl. In small saucepan heat cream until simmering then pour over semisweet chocolate chips. Stir until chips are melted. Whisk in sugar, vanilla and eggs until blended. Spread over crust. Bake 32 minutes or until edgs have risen slightly higher than middle (center will be soft yet set).
- Glaze topping: Can be prepared on the stovetop or in the microwave. On stovetop, melt white chocolate and shortening in saucepan and stil until smooth. In microwave, microwave white chocolate and shortening at 30-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Pour over filling and gently spread evenly across surface.
- Refrigerate until cold and set, about 2 hours.
- If using glass pan, you can slice bars in pan. If using metal, lift foil by ends and transfer to cutting board. Cut lengthwise into 4 strips then cut each strip crosswise into 6 bars. You may wish to cut the bars even smaller, as this is VERY rich. If desired, dust tops with additional cocoa powder.
- Cooking time does not include 2 hours refrigeration.