Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
We are allergic to nuts and seeds. I had to make my own biscotti because there are none at the stores we could eat. This is based upon the Double-Cholocate Biscotti Recipe from EatWell.com
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coffee beans, decaffenited dark roast finely grounded
- 1 cup chocolate chips, miniatures
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar (or Splenda Substitute for Baking)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped or 5 ounces chocolate chips, melted
- Position rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 325 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground up coffee beans and 1 up chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, beat eggs and sugar (or Splenda) with an electric mixer until thick and pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Stir in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until just moistened.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 1 minute, then divide in thirds. Roll each piece into an 8-inch log; flatten slightly to about 1/2 inch high and 4 inches wide. Please make sure to square off the ends of the log so that when you go to cut it later the end pieces will be as rectangle as possible.
- Place the logs side by side 1 large or 2 of the prepared baking sheets. Do not let sides touch, leave room as it will rise and expand.
- Bake until lightly browned and firm, about 20 minutes.
- Cool on the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Keep the oven on; switch the oven racks to the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- Slice the logs into cookies 1/2 inch thick. Use a serrated bread knife or a very sharp knife and wash or wipe knife clean after a couple of cuts because you want a clean cut and to minimize crumbling. Arrange, cut-side down, on the 2 baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn the biscotti over and rotate the pans from top to bottom; bake until dry, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Dip in your favorite coffee, hot cocoa, Vin Santo (Italian dessert wine), or a mixture of expresso, twist of lemon and Sambucco.