Recipe by Dee514
This is a very rich cake which uses white, milk and bittersweet chocolates. If you are looking for an impressive dessert, this would fit the bill.
- 1⁄2 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
For fillings and frosting
- 4 ounces good-quality white chocolate, finely chopped (such as Baker's of Lindt)
- 4 ounces imported milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream, plus
- 1 tablespoon chilled whipping cream
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- white chocolate shavings (optional)
- milk chocolate shavings (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter three 8-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides.
- Line bottoms with parchment paper.
- Stir buttermilk, espresso power and vanilla in small bowl until powder dissolves.
- Sift sugar and next 5 ingredients into large bowl.
- Add eggs and butter; beat until mixture is thick and smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add buttermilk mixture; beat until light and fluffy,about 1 1/2 minutes longer.
- Divide batter among pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans on racks 5 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto racks.
- Peel off parchment; cool completely.
- Make fillings and frosting: Place white chocolate and milk chocolate in separate medium bowls.
- Bring 1 cup cream to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- Pour 3 tablespoons hot cream into white chocolate and 3 tablespoons hot cream into milk chocolate.
- Add bittersweet chocolate to remaining cream in saucepan; stir until smooth.
- Stir white chocolate and milk chocolate fillings until smooth; chill until cold but not firm, about 15 minutes.
- Set aside bittersweet chocolate frosting.
- Assemble: Place 1 cake layer on platter.
- Using handheld mixer, beat white chocolate filling until slightly stiff.
- Spread over cake layer.
- Top with second cake layer.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon cream to milk chocolate filling and beat until smooth.
- Spread over second cake layer.
- Top with third cake layer.
- Chill cake until bittersweet chocolate frosting is firm enough to spread, about 30 minutes.
- Stir frosting until smooth.
- Spread very thin layer over top and sides of cake to smooth surface and anchor crumbs.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Spread remaining frosting decoratively over cake.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome and chill.) Garnish cake with chocolate shavings, if desired,and serve.