Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
The Chocolate Lover's Dream!!
- 1 package devil's food cake mix
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (melted and cooled)
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons strong coffee
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- CAKE: In a large mixer bowl, combine cake mix, coffee powder, eggs, water, sour cream and oil.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Spread in two 9-inch round cake pans, greased and floured, dividing evenly.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack, then remove layers and cool completely.
- FILLING: Beat 1/2 cup butter, confectioner's sugar, cream, and unsweetend chocolate together on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add more confectiner's sugar or cream to make a soft, creamy spreading consistency.
- ASSEMBLY: Place 1 cake layer top-side down on a serving plate.
- Spread with a generous amount of filling.
- Place second cake layer on top.
- Spread remaining filling on sides of cake, leaving top unfrosted.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- GLAZE: In a small saucepan over low heat, melt semi-sweet chocolate and coffee, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually add 3 tbsp butter, stirring until smooth.
- Spread over top of cake, letting it drip down sides.
- Chill to set chocolate glaze.