Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Either Dutch-processed or natural cocoa works well in this recipe. These brownies are very rich, so we prefer to cut them into small squares for serving.**Take out Espresso if you want just chocolate brownies.
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate or 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant espresso
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8-inch-square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Fold two 16-inch pieces of foil lengthwise to measure 7 inches wide. Fit one sheet in bottom of greased pan, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan (overhang will help in removal of baked brownies). Fit second sheet in pan in same manner, perpendicular to first sheet. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium heatproof bowl set over pan of almost-simmering water, melt chocolates and butter, stirring occasionally until mixture is smooth. Whisk in cocoa & espresso until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in medium bowl until combined, about 15 seconds. Whisk warm chocolate mixture into egg mixture; then stir in flour with wooden spoon until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan, spread into corners, and level surface with rubber spatula; bake until slightly puffed and toothpick inserted in center comes out with small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours, then remove brownies from pan using foil handles. Cut into 1-inch squares and serve. (Do not cut brownies until ready to serve; brownies can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated up to 5 days.).