Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of my favorite cookie recipes. The dough can be frozen and used later, if you don't want to make them all at once. Just place balls of the cookie dough into freezer bags and toss them in the freezer. Bake them straight from the freezer, increasing the baking time by a couple of minutes to compensate for the frozen dough.
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder (freshly ground)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt (finely ground)
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder (not dutched)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (soft to the touch)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (or 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar and 1/2 cups dark brown sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces chocolate-covered coffee beans
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together whole-wheat pastry flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add in the sugar and beat until the mixture is a thick, frosting-like consistency. Add in the eggs, one at a time, making sure each egg is incorporated before adding in the next one. Add in the vanilla and mix until it is incorporated.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring after each addition until the flour is incorporated. The dough should be moist and uniformly brown.
- Stir in the espresso beans and chocolate chips by hand, mixing just until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes on the middle rack. Don't overbake or they will dry out. It's best to underbake them just a bit.
- Allow to cool.
I made this last night and loved it. Thanks for sharing
ZWT4: Made for Family Picks - OUT OF THIS WORLD Anne!! I have half the dough in the freezer and the other half we made last night - yum!! My husband and I made piglets of ourselves last night!! I even brought some into work this morning and the treats were enjoyed by all!
These were excellent chocolate cookie. They were easy to put together. I loved the taste of the espresso in them and the chocolate covered coffe beans is wonderful. Made for ZWT4 Zingo.