Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
You won't believe these are light! They are just wonderful! Fast to make... and delicious to eat! A great recipe from Rose Reisman. These are great baked 1 day in advance and will keep frozen for up to 1 month.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat yogurt or 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces light cream cheese
- 2⁄3 cup icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray an 8-inch square metal pan with cooking spray.
- To make brownies: In a bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla until well mixed. Add cocoa; mix well. Add flour, baking powder, yogurt, and chocolate chips, mixing just until combined and smooth. Don’t overmix.
- Pour batter into pan; bake in centre of oven for 15 to 20 minutes just until set. Do not overbake. Cool.
- To make icing: In a blender or food processor, blend icing ingredients until smooth. Spread over brownie batch. Cut into squares.
Ok this is really important: do NOT make this recipe with truvia instead of sugar. There was barely enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan, and definitely a gross aftertaste. I usually like sugar substitutes, even in baking, but maybe not truvia... The texture was still great, so I can't wait to try this recipe again, the RIGHT way.
Very yummy! I was looking for a way to use a 5.3 oz container of Oikos blueberry Greek yogurt and figured the chocolate in this recipe would mask the yogurt's blueberry flavor. Doubled the recipe and used that one container. Very delicious, you really would never know these were light. Lots of chocolates goodness. I really enjoyed the frosting, it's different and the cream cheese compliments the brownies nicely, though I'm sure they'd also be good without it. Next time I'd leave out the water in the frosting, it was a bit thin. Stored these in the fridge because of the cream cheese. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Forgot to mention I didn't even do the frosting and they were still delicious!