Recipe by White Rose Child
When published in "Vive Le Vegan" by Dreena Burton, these were called double chocolate, but since there are really three forms of chocolateyness I thought I'd better change the title :-) Otherwise, however, these cookies are pure, perfect decadence... they just beg to be shared with the world! (I highly recommend buying Dreena's book for more of the same experiences!) Note: My picture is of what I made my dad for Fathers' Day. :-) It took about a third of the whole recipe and was like a jumbo brownie-cookie! MMm-mm!
Top Review by Wish I Could Cook
MMMMM! These are great! I just had one right out of the oven and wow was it good! I expected to taste the maple syrup, but it wasn't strong. Instead the overall flavor had a nice depth to it. I baked them the full 12 minutes, and might add just a little more time next time. Will save and make again. Thanks for posting!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil (or other light-tasting oil)
- 2 -3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips or 2 -3 tablespoons dark chocolate bars, broken into chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Stir together the first first 8 dry ingredients, RESERVING 2 Tbsp of the almond slivers (be sure to sift the cocoa and baking powder/soda!).
- In a separate bowl, combine the maple syrup, extracts and oil.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir just until well combined (don't overmix!)
- Spoon the batter onto a nonstick or parchment-lined sheet. For each mound, take a few chocolate chips and a few of the remaining almond slivers and press into the top of each cookie, flattening slightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or just until gloden around the edges (any longer may let them dry out). Let cool for 1 minute on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.