Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a decadent biscotti. The recipe comes from the Nestle company to promote their new "chocolatier" chips but any bittersweet chocolate could be subbed. These are rich and chocolate heaven. I have made them a couple of times the directed way and now plan to try different flavorings such as chocolate/orange...yum! This is not a difficult recipe at all.
- 1 2⁄3 cups bittersweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- PREHEAT oven to 325º F & grease your baking sheet.
- MICROWAVE 2/3 cup morsels in uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 10 to 15 seconds; STIR. The morsels may retain some of their original shape; if necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl.
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy; add eggs and almond extract; beat until combined.
- Stir in melted chocolate; gradually stir in flour mixture then stir in slivered almonds and 1/2 cup morsels.
- SHAPE dough with floured hands on prepared baking sheet into 12 x 3-inch log; round top.
- BAKE for 40 minutes or until slightly firm to the touch and cracked on top; cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Slide log onto cutting board and cut into 18 even slices then return to baking sheet cut side down.
- Bake for additional 10 to 15 minutes or until firm. then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Place remaining chocolate morsels in small, heavy-duty plastic bag and microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 30 to 45 seconds; knead.
- Cut a tiny corner from bag and drizzle over cooled biscotti.
- Let stand until drizzle is set and store in airtight container at room temperature.