Prep 20 mins
Cook 46 mins
Three or four cheeses provide a creamy almost cheesecake-like base, pecans add a crunch and the vegetables give color and extra flavor to this festive appetizer. This originally was found on Land O' Lakes web site but it has been tweaked a bit. It really is good! Tart can be prepared a day ahead and can be served right from the oven or completely chilled.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter or 1⁄2 cup cold margarine
- 5 -6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces, toasted
- 1 -2 teaspoon brown sugar or 1 -2 teaspoon Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, well-drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
- 2 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt, to taste (optional)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste (optional)
- fresh chives, if desired
- fresh edible flower, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place flour & rosemary in bowl, cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in enough water with fork just until flour is moistened.
- Shape into a ball.
- Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to 14-inch circle.
- Place into buttered 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Press on bottom and up sides of pan.
- Cut away excess pastry, prick all over with a fork.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven.
- Reduce heat to 350°F.
- Place pecans on bottom of pastry shell.
- Place cream cheese in large mixing bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl, often until creamy.
- Add half-and-half and eggs; mix well.
- Stir in blue cheese. sun-dried tomatoes, green onions, Swiss cheese and Worcestershire sauce by hand.
- Pour mixture into hot, partially baked pastry shell.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- To serve, cut into wedges, if using as an appetizer for large get-togethers slice the wedges a little smaller.
- Garnish each serving with edible flowers and chives, if desired.
- Serve warm, room temperature or cold.