Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I had this during a holiday get-together and HAD to have the recipe. This recipe is courtesy of BHG.com
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces gruyere (1 cup) or 4 ounces swiss cheese, finely shredded (1 cup)
- 2 ounces blue cheese (1/2 cup) or 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
SKILLET ROASTED TOMATO TOPPER
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut in thin wedges (3/4 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1 medium granny smith apples (1 cup) or 1 medium other tart apple, cored and chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Let cheeses stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large food processor or mixing bowl combine cream cheese, gruyere cheese, and blue cheese. Process or beat until well combined.
- Line one 7-1/2x3-1/2x2-inch loaf pan or a 3-quart bowl with plastic wrap.
- For Skillet Roasted Tomato Topper, spread half the cheese mixture in pan or bowl; spoon half the topper over cheese. Cover and refrigerate remaining topper. Carefully spoon on remaining cheese mixture and spread evenly. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- For Apple-Jalapeno Topper, spread cheese mixture in loaf pan or bowl; cover and chill 2 to 24 hours.
- TO SERVE, unmold cheese onto a serving platter, removing plastic wrap. Top with remaining topper. (If making Apple-Onion Topper, sprinkle with 1/4 cup pistachio nuts, if desired.) Serve cheese appetizers with crackers, flatbreads, fresh vegetables, or fruits. Makes 24 (2-tablespoon) servings.
- SKILLET ROASTED TOMATO TOPPER: In a skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 small red onion cut in thin wedges (3/4 cup). Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Add 1-1/2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes; 2 tablespoons white balsamic or white wine vinegar; 2 cloves garlic, minced; and 1 tablespoon snipped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed. Simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- APPLE-JALAPENO TOPPER: Combine 1 medium Granny Smith or other tart apple, cored and chopped (1 cup); 1/3 cup chopped green onions; 1 tablespoon lemon juice; 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno pepper; and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Cook time is chill time (Size and times are estimated).
This is outstanding!1 I made it with the roasted tomato topper. It was a big hit at my appetizer buffet. Thanks for a great recipe.