Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
You won't miss the breadcrumb coating in this cheesy, saucy eggplant parmigiana! Perfect accompaniments to this lasagna-like dish would be a crisp green salad and some crusty bread to mop up the extra sauce. (I like to use my own Angie's Bella Marinara sauce in this delicious vegetarian dish, but you can use whatever pasta sauce you prefer.)
- 1 large firm eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 cups angie bella marinara sauce (or your favorite tomato pasta sauce)
- If you're a fan of salting eggplant to remove possible bitterness, proceed.
- I try to purchase the youngest, freshest eggplant I can and skip that step, finding that it actually seems to contribute to the eggplant's ability to soak up oil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the ricotta, mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Mix in egg and basil.
- In a large skillet, quickly saute eggplant in 4 tablespoons.
- of olive oil, browning each side.
- Repeat with remaining eggplant slices; add more olive oil if necessary.
- In a 9x13 inch baking dish, spread 1 1/2 cups of marinara sauce.
- Arrange a single layer of eggplant slices on top of the sauce.
- Top eggplant with half of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat layering until all of the eggplant slices and cheese mixture are used.
- Pour the rest of the marinara sauce on top of the layered dish, and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese (and some extra mozzarella, if you like).
- Bake until sauce is bubbly, about 30 to 45 minutes.
A real disappointment!! Bitter eggplant taste and waste of ingredients. Won't make again - sorry!!
This was excellent! I left out the egg and doubled the recipe. I put this in a really large pan so we could have extra the next night as well. I threw in extra mozzarella and parmesan. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!
I had some frozen eggplant cutlets from Trader Joe's so I used them without precooking...how simple.Prep time was less than 15 min. and it was superb! Thanks for such well written prep instructions! YUM!