Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My very own adaptation of several Mac and Cheese recipes all rolled into one. It doesn't get more comforting than Macaroni and Cheese. Yummmmmmmmmy!
- 1⁄2 lb curly macaroni, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 slices American cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 dash salt
- 8 ounces medium cheddar
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (optional)
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add flour and whisk well.
- Allow to cook for a minute or two.
- Add milk, pepper, onion and ground mustard.
- Cook until smooth.
- Tear american cheese slices into small pieces.
- Cut Cheddar cheese into cubes.
- Add cheeses to milk mixture.
- Continue cooking until cheeses are throughly melted.
- Place macaroni in a glass casserole dish.
- Pour cheese sauce over macaroni.
- For topping, mix butter, bread crumbs and onion powder together.
- Sprinkle over macaroni.
- Bake in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes.
My family is hugely into mac and cheese, and I am always looking for new recipes so we don't have the "same old same old" over and over again. I think we have found something we will stick with for quite a while. The three cheeses combine to make a wonderful tasting dish. We don't have American cheese where I live so I substituted a regular yellow cheese. Instead of bread crumbs I used onion-flavored cracker crumbs as the topping. I upped the quantities to serve 10, although our family of 6 inhaled it all at one sitting. I see I'm going to have to up it to at least 16 next time! Thanks for posting this Kari, you may have helped me create a monster!
So delicious. I did not have the exact kind of cheeses for this recipe, so I just used what I had, which was: parmesean, cubed cheddar/monterey and shredded 4-cheese mexican style. It was really good; everyone in my family agreed.
Wow! Perfect amount of spice and oh so cheesy! I am definitely making this one again!!!!