I made this for my husband's birthday and didn't have all the right ingredients and kind of winged it. Turned out fabulous and was a big hit for everyone! And I won't lie, I put it in tupperware and ate it straight out of the containers for days afterwords! There's fruit in it, so it's still healthy, right? :)
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Classic Yellow)
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) box strawberry cake mix (Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Strawberry Supreme)
- 2 2⁄3 cups water (1 1/3 cup for each batter)
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil (1/3 cup for each batter)
- 6 large eggs (3 for each batter)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh blueberries (4 oz.)
- 2 cups fresh raspberries (12 oz.)
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced about 1/4 inch thick (18 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raspberry preserves, divided
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream, divided
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Generously grease three 8-inch cake pans.
- Prepare cake batter according to box directions and divide evenly in pans. I did pans half strawberry, half yellow and used a butter knife to swirl the batters.
- Bake until toothpick comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes and turn out on wire racks.
- Place berries in large bowl and set aside.
- Microwave 1/4 cup preserves in small bowl on HIGH until melted, about 30 seconds.
- Pour over berries and stir carefully to glaze berries.
- Place 1 layer of cake on a platter; spread with whipped cream and spoon 1/3 cup berries on it.
- Repeat with 2nd and 3rd layers.
- Spoon remaining berries in center of top layer. Decorate edge with whipped cream.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Melt remaining preserves and spoon over top of cake after slightly cooling, letting drip down the side.
- Refrigerate one hour more.