Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
I would have never guessed that sweet potato and cheese went so well together. That is why this casserole tastes so good. The beans provide ample protein to make it a one-dish meal.
Top Review by CaramelPie
I'm giving this 4 stars. It was pretty easy to make, and definitely healthy. I didn't really care for it, but my housekeeper loved it. No one else in my family cared for it, so I sent it home with my housekeeper. She seemed really excited. Thanks.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 4 sweet potatoes)
- 19 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 19 ounces white beans, rinsed and drained
- 19 ounces red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a microwave safe bowl, cook sweet potato slices until almost completely or completely cooked.
- Spray a 4 qt casserole with non-stick spray (I use a 9x13 glass baking dish).
- Combine chick peas, white beans, kidney beans, green pepper, onion, garlic, chili powder, cayenne and ground pepper.
- Layer 1/3 of the potato slices on bottom of casserole dish.
- Spread 1/2 bean mixture over top; sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat layering.
- Place remaining layer of potato on top, sprinkle with last 1/3 of cheese.
- Bake at 350 F uncovered for 25-35 minutes, until bubbly and hot.