Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a recipe fairly common to Chile.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs tripe, precooked
- salt water
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 6 ounces onions, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 green chili peppers, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 5 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- In a large stainless steel pot, cover tripe with salted water. Squeeze in juice of lemon and include the whole rind.
- Simmer until tender, about 2 hours. Drain and discard lemon rind. Cut tripe into 1 inch squares.
- Return to pot, set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, place 1/4 cup of chicken broth with onion, green pepper, chili pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions become translucent.
- Add to pot with tripe. Add tomatoes, worcestershire, capers, coriander, oregano, salt and pepper and remaining broth. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Cover simmer 30 - 45 minutes or until tripe is very tender.