Recipe by Coasty
I know not everyone likes offal meats, but this is one of my favourite ways to prepare tripe. Posted for ZWT7
- 1 kg tripe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 brown onion, peeled & Chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (220 g) tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt & pepper
- 2 (3 cm) pieces lemon peel
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, freshly grated
- Italian bread, chargrilled
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Parboil tripe for about 30 minutes. Drain & cool. Slice up tripe into 2cm strips.
- Saute very quickly in a little of the oil in a large frying pan. Add the carrots, celery, onion, parsley & garlic. Add the tomato sauce, beef stock and wine. Add the seasonings and lemon peel.
- Simmer the sauce for a few minutes, and then add the tripe. Cook it on top of the stove, covered, for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Or bake it in a moderate oven for same time.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle on the Romano and chopped parsley
- Serve with chargrilled Italian bread.