Recipe by jenny butt
A decadent twist to the ever popular trifle..........very popular in the west indies.
- 4 pieces sponge cakes, rounds
- 800 g fresh fruit, of choice (or 1 can fruit)
- 1⁄2-1 cup rum
- 1⁄2 cup fruit juice
- 1 pint custard
- 1 (9 g) packet strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 (9 g) packet lime Jell-O gelatin
- 1 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- soak raisins in 1/2 cup of rum and wait until they plump up.
- make up red jello, pour into a square dish , place into fridge to set.
- make up other color jello, pour into a square dish place in fridge to set.
- put 1 cake round at base of a round glass bowl.
- cut 2 other cake rounds in half, and line sides of glass bowl.
- sprinkle rest of rum over cake base & sides.
- chop fresh fruit of choice.
- put layer of fruit on base cake.
- sprinkle some of the rum soaked raisins on top.
- pour on some firm cold custard.
- layer last round of cake on top.
- layer rest of fruit & raisins on top.
- pour on rest of cold custard on top.
- when set , cut jello into medium size squares.
- place jello squares on top.
- Add few bits of fruit for decoration or whipped cream.
- put into fridge to chill.
- BEST SERVED NEXT DAY.