Recipe by Debbie R.
This is from allrecipes.com. I haven't tried it yet. Times don't include the extra 30 minutes you need to let the chicken sit with its seasonings.
Top Review by Baby Kato
My family & I enjoyed this dish very much. We did add more of the red pepper flakes ( personel preference only). It was very quick and easy to throw together and tasted great. The chicken was perfectly cooked, and the sauce was slightly sweet, spicy and flavorful. Thank you so much for sharing.
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Leave skin on the chicken; put it on a plate. Sprinkle the green onion, cilantro, garlic, onion, salt and pepper over it. Cover. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pot over medium heat. Stir in the sugar, and cook until the sugar has melted into a nice golden brown syrup. Add the chicken pieces, and brown quickly while turning continuously. Cover the pot, and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in 1 cup of water, coconut milk and pepper flakes. Cover again; cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the ketchup and butter. Continue cooking until chicken is fork tender, 20 to 30 minutes. The chicken skin won't be crispy, so throw it out or give it to an appreciative dog. (If cat, only a little bit. Don't want to give them too much fat at once, you know.). You'd have to pick off any little pieces of garlic and onion first tho, as those aren't good for our companion animals.